Do you know what the top ten traits of the master networker are? Could you hazard a guess? Well if networking is working rather than not working for you then the chances are you will recognise a good few of the following traits:
- Timely follow-up on referrals: Following up with what you say you’re going to do, when you say you’re going to do it, builds your credibility and trust.
- Positive Attitude: Positive attitudes are contagious. People want to be around you. Being positive contributes to your determination, internal motivation, and ultimate business success.
- Enthusiasm: Enthusiastic and motivated people make things happen for themselves – and for the people they know.
- Trustworthiness: Trust, as we have been taught, is earned. It develops over time and throughout the time of a relationship. Trust is the foundation of your Credibility.
- Good listening skills: Listening and understanding the needs and problems of others can position you to engage the services of people you know. Communication well takes focus and effective listening.
- Commitment to Networking 24/7: Master Networkers are never formally of duty. Networking is so natural to them that they can be found networking in Waitrose, doctor’s office and at their children’s school and well as in networking functions. They operate on the Givers Gain mind-set where ever they are.
- Gratitude: Thanking others at every opportunity will help you stand out from the crowd. Expressing sincere gratitude to the people who will one day be there to help you is not just a courtesy — it’s the right thing to do.
- Helpfulness: Master networkers keep their eyes and ears open for opportunities to advance other people’s interests because they really want to. Master networkers get joy out of helping other people succeed.
- Sincerity: Those who have developed successful networking skills conver their sincerity at every turn. No multi-tasking here. Master networkers give their full attention to the task at hand. Make eye contact when you are speaking to people in person. Sincerely show that you care and give your complete attention to the person in front of you.
- Dedicated to Working One’s Network: Master networkers don’t let any opportunity to work their networks pass them by. They set up appointments to get better acquainted with new contacts and learn about them quickly so the path to Visibility and Credibility can be initiated. This is particularly true with respect to new members and visitors to your BNI chapter or other networking events.
In The 29% Solution they provide a worksheet that gets you to score yourself on each of the traits, with 1-5 points per trait depending on whether you never, rarely, sometimes, usually or always display each trait. As the book jokes, if you score 50 it is time to stop reading!
This concludes the first section of the book ‘Create your Future’, and the remains 45 weeks promise to expand on these traits and the amazing places they can take you.
Do scroll back through this blog if you want to check out our thoughts on the other chapters of The 29% Solution.